Sangam University, Bhilwara offers the postgraduate programmes leading to the award of degree of Doctor of Philosophy its Departments/Research Centers. The award of degree of Doctor of Philosophy is in recantation of high academic achievements, independent research and application of knowledge under the Disciplines /faculties of Engineering and Technology, Management Studies, Basic and applied Sciences, Law, Fashion Technology, Teacher Education, Pharmacy, Nursing, Food Processing, Agriculture, Vocational Courses, Distance Education, Media and Mass Communication, Arts and Humanities, Tourism and Hospitality Management and Architecture.
The academic programme leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy is based on the University Grant Commission (UGC) Minimum standards and procedure for awards of M.Phil. /Ph.D. degree latest prescribed by the UGC. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy shall be abbreviated as Ph.D.
The Ph.D. work must be a piece of research characterized by the discovery of facts or by fresh approach towards the interpretation of facts or theories or an applied work of great significance. In either case, it shall evince the capacity of the candidate for critical examination and independent judgment. It should also be satisfactory so far as its presentation is concerned and must be suitable for publication.
The degree of Doctor of Philosophy of the Sangam University, Bhilwara shall be conferred on a research scholar who fulfills all the requirements specified in these Ordinances and Regulation. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy will be awarded on the research work carried out by the research scholar.
Details of Admission and Guidelines
A candidate holding the Masters degree in relevant subject from any recognized University with at least 55% marks is eligible for entrance test for Ph.D. admission (relaxation of 5% for SC/ST and physically handicapped candidates). The student who has qualified an examination conducted by professional bodies leading to CA, CS, ICWA, PGDM approved by AICTE, New Delhi is also eligible for the entrance test. Those candidates who do not have this eligibility will not allow for interview.
Exemption from Entrance Test
- 1. Those who have qualified UGC/CSIR NET (JRF), ICSSR, ICPR examination/ SET/GATE (with a valid score) / Teacher Research Fellowship holder.
- 2. A candidate who has passed M. Phil. Program through entrance examination and course work as per the UGC notification 2009 from any recognized University.
The candidates belong to category 1 to 2 as above, would be exempted from the Ph.D. entrance test. The entrance test will be conducted in the following subjects:
Note: Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only.
*Subject vise number of seats is tentative, these may increase or decrease
Examination Fee and Mode of Payment
Application form (Complete set) for Ph.D. can be downloaded from University website (www.sangamuniversity.ac.in). The duly filled application form along with the attested mark sheets / documents etc. with a crossed D.D. of Rs. 1,000/- in the name of Sangam University, Bhilwara payable at Bhilwara may be submitted to Registrar/Dy. Dean(Research) office, Sangam University, Bhilwara on or before the prescribed last date.
Scheme of Test
The examination will be of Three hours duration and the maximum marks of the test will be 100. There will be one paper consisting of two parts; each part will be of 50 marks. For passing the test the candidate has to score minimum 40% marks in each part separately and minimum 50% marks in aggregate.
|I||50||25 questions will be of general nature i.e. research aptitude and logical reasoning. The rest 25 questions will be from the subject concern. All 50 questions will be Objective type multiple choice.|
|II||50||25 questions will be of general nature i.e. research aptitude and logical reasoning. The rest 25 questions will be from the subject concern. All 50 questions will be Objective type multiple choice. All questions would be from the syllabus of NET (UGC/CSIR) of the concern subject.|
Note: The syllabus will be the same as that of UGC/CSIR NET examination available on the UGC/CSIR websites.
The test will be only for judging the eligibility of the candidate for Ph.D. programme. Qualifying the eligibility test will not ensure that the candidate will necessarily be registered as a Ph.D. student.
Validity of the Test
The candidate qualifying the test would be eligible to be invited for the interview for the next one year, such candidates would again submit an application for the exemption from the text along with the relevant certificate, if needed.
- The candidates declared qualified in the entrance test and the candidates exempted from entrance test both would be invited for an interview to be conducted by Dean (Research). At the time of Interview by the expert panel the candidates are expected to discuss their research interest/s. The candidate would have to produce the original documents at the time of interview.
- Only a predetermined number of students shall be admitted to the Ph.D. programme. The University shall follow the rules of the reservation policy in granting such admissions.
Allocation of Supervisor / Co-supervisor
The allocation of the supervisor to a selected student shall be done by the Interview Board keeping in view the number of vacant seats available with faculty members, the available specialization among the faculty supervisors, and the research interest of the student as indicated by him/her during the interview. The allotment/allocation of supervisor shall not be left to the individual student or teacher.
Registration and Synopsis Submission through Supervisor
- After allocation of supervisor, all candidates for the degree of Ph.D. shall apply for registration in the prescribed application form obtainable from the University on payment of prescribed fee. Application for Ph.D. registration should accompany outline of the proposed research work along with the theme and methodology to be followed, objectives and importance / relevance of the proposed work, bibliography and other details. The candidate will have to deposit the prescribed registration fee and submit the synopsis to the Dean (Research) as per scheduled date.
- The synopsis would be submitted when it is approved by the supervisor. It is to be submitted through the head of the concerned research center.
- The candidate applying with synopsis for registration for Ph.D. degree, under the allocated supervisor, will have to defend the proposed work before the DRC. Improvement, alteration and modifications suggested by the committee in the synopsis have to be incorporated in and the revised synopsis to be submitted within one month to the Dean (Research).
- If the outline of the proposed research work is approved, the Dean (Research) shall notify the candidate concerned regarding approval of outline of work and ask him/her to take admission in the institution where he/she plans to work. The candidate shall intimate the date of his/her joining the research to the Dean (Research) through the supervisor and Head of the concerned research center/institute. The date of registration would be the date of admission at this stage.
- The candidate will be required to submit, through proper channel, his admission report to the University positively within one month of the date of the issue of registration letter.
Meeting of Subject Research Committee
After having been admitted to the Ph.D. programme, each student shall be required to undertake course work for a minimum period of one semester. The course work shall be treated as pre-Ph.D. preparation. It shall include two papers; one shall be on research methodology which shall include quantitative methods and computer applications. The other one shall be an intensive review of available literature/research techniques relating to the proposed research area of the Ph.D. scholar. Candidates undergoing course work are required to obtain a certificate from his/her supervisor with counter-signed by the head of the concerned institution to the effect that he/she has successfully completed the course work. The mode of examination regarding course work would be decided by the Examination Section. The course work will be offered on self- sufficiency basis to the Ph.D. scholars. If found necessary, the courses may be carried out by doctoral candidates in sister departments / institutes either within or outside the university for which due credit will be given to them.
Exemption from Course Work
The Candidates who have already done course work as per UGC notification 2009 in the concerned subject from any recognized university may be exempted from course work (relevant certificate is required).